CRE8nSK8 Relocation Project: The Four Elements
Due by 3 pm Monday, February 12, 2018
CLICK TO APPLY
In 2013, the Norman Public Arts Board hosted the CRE8nSK8 project to enhance the Blake Baldwin Skate Park at Andrews Park with street art-style painting on the ramps. This award-winning project has been a community favorite since.
However, updates to Andrews Park and the intersection of James Garner and Acres require that the Skate Park be temporarily de-installed. The City of Norman Parks Department and the Norman Public Arts Board are working together to keep the Skate Park alive during the updates. The ramps will be divided among 4 other parks in Norman and new street art painting will be installed on the ramps.
The Norman Public Arts Board is accepting proposals for the designs for two of these parks:
- Lions Memorial - Element Fire — View Ramp & Site Plan
- Colonial Commons - Element Air — View Ramp & Site Plan
The selected artists will be working as team with the other artists so each artist will have a chance to contribute to the painting in all four parks and the work will be spread out over 4 Sundays in April.
Selected artists will each be awarded a $600 honorarium for their design and work. The cost of the spray paint will be covered by the Norman Parks Department. The selected artists are not responsible for the cost of materials for the project.
The Public Arts Board will review proposals from qualified artists. Any artist wishing to apply must fit one of these descriptions to be qualified:
1. Live in Norman, OK for at least the past 365 days OR
2. Have exhibited at MAINSITE Contemporary Art: Home of the Norman Arts Council at some time since January 1, 2012
Monday, February 12, 2018 @ 3:00pm CST – Deadline for submissions to the CRE8nSK8 Relocation Project - The Four Elements
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 – Notification of selected artists
Sunday, April 8, 2018 - Park #1 painting
Sunday, April 15, 2018 - Park #2 painting
Sunday, April 22, 2018 - Park #3 painting
Sunday, April 29, 2018 - Park #4 painting
Sunday, May 6, 2018 - Rain Day if needed
Artists are asked to submit the following:
- A rendering or sketch of your proposed design
- Statement about how your design incorporates the element theme of the park
- At least 3 examples of previous work that you feel showcase your ability to fulfill this project
- Image checklist of work examples including date, title, medium
For questions, contact:
Executive Director, Norman Arts Council